Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Day of Work

I have internet at work!! I am at work right now!! Here is my job description:

My job title is ‘Crisis Intervention Caseworker’, the position responsible for dealing with clients who are in dire need of basic financial assistance. The caseworker interviews clients, who undergo a prior screening process by telephone, and determines whether or not they qualify and which grant(s) best suit that particular client’s situation of crisis. The grants come from the city, state, and federal governments and are quite straightforward, aiming to serve those members of society most traditionally in need, such as single mothers, the elderly, and the disabled. The caseworker is also responsible for the year long program, entitled Project Cool, which distributes over 6000 fans to elderly members of the San Antonio community during the brutal summer months. Finally, the caseworker will be called on to help out around the office as needed for many odd jobs. Some of these tasks include helping in the food pantry and delivering the mail to different branches of the city-wide Catholic Charities Organization.

I love the staff and the job seems really interesting. I sat in on a caseworker getting info from a client today and it was really exhilarating. I then went on my mail run with a funny maintenance man named "Vidal" (who is a crazy Christian...and thinks Jesus was "filthy rich" when he was born and never preached poverty...hmm.) and visited the new office that my department is moving to. There are about ten of us from Catholic Charities moving to an office near my JV house. I'll be able to walk to work soon!! (like mid September).

I can't access Facebook or Youtube at work, but that's alright! If I have time, I'll try to blog every once and awhile.

I spoke Spanish quite a bit today and was told by coworkers that I look like I'm from "the capitol" (meaning Mexico City). Neat!

Talk to y'all later, I get off at 5pm. (And start at 8am. Office is closed from 12pm-1pm for lunch).

No comments:

Post a Comment