Friday, September 3, 2010

Más observaciones

Hey y'all!!

In San Antonio, I live on the "West Side." This is the equivalent of the South Side in Chicago. A very misunderstood part of town. Yes, it's crime-ridden. Yes the first week I moved in, there were police helicopters hovering above the scene of a shooting that had just taken place down the street. However, there is so much beauty and vibrance in the neighborhood that goes unappreciated. I can't really compare it with other neighborhoods in San Antonio (because I haven't been to many others) but it seems that this part of town follows its own rules.

For example, no matter which way the flow of traffic goes on a street (whether it's one-way, two-way), cars park wherever they damn well please. So if you are going north on a two-way street and you find a nice parking spot on the left side of the street, you can just mosey your car on into that spot. I've freaked out on several occasions because I'll turn on to what I think is a two-way street but then I'll see a car on the right side of the street facing me. This makes me think that I've turned the wrong way on a one-way. However, if I drive a little further, I'll undoubtedly find a car on the right side that is facing away from me and I'll realize that it's really just a free for all when it comes to parking.

The same goes for pets! Dogs are allowed to run wild through the streets and they do. It reminds me a lot of the street dogs in Chile- they were everywhere! Some of these dogs have it in their tiny brains that cars are to be barked at and chased. Little do they know that a car is an enormous machine that can kill any dog in its path. Yeesh.

Okay, work is getting crazy but I wanted to give a shoutout to Marcelle (my coworker):

I love that you pronounce the word "again" as "agaYn" (like the second "a" sound in "away"). And that you say "papah" instead of "paper" and "wondahful" instead of "wonderful." Just please keep your voice down when you're talking to yourself in your office which is next to mine!!! Thank you <3

That's it for now! Keep on keepin' on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment